Monday, October 8, 2007

Healing and Handicap

Very rarely does one acknowledge that one has actually surprised oneself. Personally, I feel like the bar is so high, it's probably unattainable. And if I can grasp it for a spilt second, I am only staring up at in the next.

While in the DR, I fractured my foot; since then, there has been no driving or walking. Today I didn't use my crutches for the first time in a month, so I can now justifiably reflect on this time of healing and handicap.

In my dependency, I have surprised myself with my dedication and discipline to continuing live a full and engaging life. I have been to Las Vegas (for grandma), and Los Angeles (spend a few days with Doreen and Isabel Allende). I have gone to the theatre and the SD Women's Film Festival. I have been to appointments, the grocery store, and worked from wi-fi friendly coffee shops. I have hosted dinner parties, BBQs and refused to cancel outreach events.

All in all, my bad-assness for getting around town is pretty damn remarkable.

What has surprised me even more, however, is the power of community, and the dedication of my family, friends, co-workers and society for providing the means for my involvement. Without JD and Lauren, I would not get to work everyday. Sans Megan and my mom, I would not have food in my fridge. Without Audrey, Christina, Luis, and Brandon, I would have a very limited social life. Without the legislation and coding considering handicap persons, I would have very little access to public spaces (thumbs up to Stater Bros for the electric wheelchair, and thumbs down to the DMV for not processing my placard when I needed it most).

...but this isn't suppose to be a list of shout-outs. It's actually suppose to contextualize the great spirit and magic of a community that takes care of one another in times of need. The generosity of others has left me humbled and grateful, and confirmed that handicap access still has far to go (like the heavy doors at work or the stairs to Audrey's apartment).

In a few short weeks, my injury will be a memory, many people may never be blessed with the walking abilities most of us enjoy and for them, we should all be advocates. Because, who knows when the next time you may stepping off a curb to get into a car (like me), or worse.

Overall, this month has given me time to ground myself and reflect after a vacation of spending more time alone and with my literature than with my boyfriend. And I feel great - looking forward to an amazing fall with my amazing community and sporting my not-so-stylish-but-quite-amazing black, cast-like boot. Namaste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pobrecita! I've got to say, I'm impressed. Only you would consider a fracture on vacation an opportunity for growth and unity. You are full of bad-assitude, indeed.

But couldn't the universe help you find community and growth without another owie? Seriously, I want the universe to take it easier on you.

Now what's this, you're hanging with ALLENDE? More information, please!