Tuesday, October 23, 2007

San Diego Fires

At risk of creating an utterly bland blog, I decided to post today to give my out-of-town friends an update on the fires of San Diego.

My parents are on stand-by, waiting for a voluntary evacuation notice. Many of my friends are evacuated. All of the schools and universities are also shut down, as well as the majority of the business offices in San Diego. As you probably know from watching the news, the governor declared a state of emergency yesterday. Today, he called in 150,000 members of the National Guard.

If my parents ARE evacuated, they will head to my aunt and uncle's house in San Clemente. If my apartment is evacuated, which is unlikely, but may occur in the next few days, I will go with them, crutches and ALL!

San Diego's preparation and response seems logical, reasonable, and well thought out. It appears that people are receiving clear messages about where to go and what to do, thought surely inconsistencies abound.

It's moments like this, we all prepare for. And I'm so glad we are prepared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering about that. That situation is so scary (dozens of fires driven by winds of about 80 mph?!?), but I'm glad you are okay and have a plan. Love you.